Male Infertility- The Different Approaches Of Treatment
According to the studies 15 to 20 percent couples are unable to make babies. In 60 percent of cases, the problem lies in men. Men generally ignore this fact considering women to be responsible for the problem. However, the truth is just the opposite. The Good news is that most of the cases of men’s infertility can be cured. The different treatment approaches are given here.
Treatment for hormonal problems
With the advancement in technology, many treatments are available to cure pituitary and other hormonal imbalances.
- If FSH and LH levels are low and the pituitary and hypothalamus gland is functioning properly, the drugs Clomiphene citrate (Clomid and Serophene) will be able to arouse the hypothalamus to discharge Gonadotropin-releasing hormone at regular intervals to restore fertility.
- The drug bromocriptine (Parlodel) can cure hyperprolactinemia.
- If the pituitary gland is malfunctioning or not making the essential sex hormones, the hormone replacement therapy may restore the fertility.
- Injections of human Chorionic Gonadotropin increases the supply of LH and stimulates the testes to manufacture testosterone and sperms.
- If your body has become unresponsive to human Chorionic Gonadotropin, the drug Pergonal can stimulate sperm production.
- Cortisone replacement therapy is known for lowering unusually high androgen levels.
Hormone replacement therapy is an excellent method to restoring fertility. It usually takes 4 months to cure the problem.
Treatment for physical problems
The treatment for physical problems is quite easy and takes less time than hormonal issues.
- Varicocele is a problem faced by many men. It can be cured through a surgery, which involves the disruption of the spoiled testicular veins. Males who are infertile, because of varicoceles can attain fertilization via in-vitro fertilization and intrauterine insemination.
- Blocked Ducts can be cured by vasectomy reversal surgery. It reconnects the vas deferens to the testicles.
- Tubal scarring caused by STDs or tuberculosis can be fixed through several microsurgical techniques.
- In case of congenital absence of vas deferens, men’s sperm are retrieved via three methods. These methods are:
1. Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (PESA)
2. Micro Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (MESA)
3. Testicular Sperm Biopsy (TESE)
- Neurologic diseases, traumatic injuries, and surgical complication can cause ejaculatory dysfunction. It can be cured by two techniques.
1. Electro ejaculation
2. Vibratory stimulation
3. Retrograde ejaculation
All these methods generally show rapid effects. The success rate of this treatment is more than 70 %.
Treatment of Psychological problems
The infertility issues are not only limited to the physical or hormonal problems. There are various psychological sexual disorders as well. Cures for some are mentioned here.
- Psychological Erectile Dysfunction can be cured through psychological therapy. These patients can also be cured by pharmacological or blend therapy.
- Ejaculatory incompetence may be treated by the behavioral therapy in many cases.
Help from the partner is essential in psychological treatments. You are lucky if you have a supporting partner.
The treatment depends upon the type of problem you are suffering from. Proper treatment can cure you completely and you can also enjoy the experience of parenthood.